Over the years, quartz has managed to acquire quite the fan following as a decorative surface material. Today, it isn’t uncommon to find several homes with quartz countertops or even quartz flooring.
So, how did this once obscure material become just as popular as granite, marble, or travertine? Well, it’s because the material manages to offer a significant number of benefits. In this blog, we’re going to discuss one of its most noteworthy strengths.
But, before that, let’s explore what quartz is and how it is manufactured.
What is Quartz?
It’s common for people to confuse quartz with natural stone. This is actually wrong, but the confusion arises due to the natural stone quartzite, which, as you can see, has a similar name. Quartz, on the other hand, is the name of the crystalline material that gives rise to the natural patterns found on many other natural stones.
However, when looked at as a construction material, quartz is just a mixture of rock fragments and a high concentration of silicon dioxide. This basic mixture is then blended further with bonding resins and coloring substances. So, technically speaking, quartz is an engineered material.
The Fabrication of Quartz
In general, around 93% of quartz is composed of natural rock fragments and recycled natural stone. The other 7% is usually made up of artificial pigments and synthetic resin. The resulting compound is then placed inside vacuum chambers that mix and mold them into slabs, bricks, or tiles. Then, the finale mixture is heated, cured, finished, and polished.
The greatest benefit with quartz is the that it’s non-porous. This is because the finishing process ensures that the mixture is cohesive. In other words, the surface of a quartz slab or tile is practically impenetrable.
This is exactly why a quartz surface will never need sealing. On the other hand, natural stones like marble or granite are known for being highly porous, which is why they need timely maintenance. So, if you’ve got a granite countertop, you’ll need to spend more, on a periodic basis, to ensure that it stays perfect.
With quartz, you don’t have to seal the surfaces. This is one of the reasons why quartz is more expensive. But, it’s a one-time cost. So, when you choose quartz for your kitchen countertop or your bathroom, you’re basically choosing a material that is meant to be used in such conditions.