Granite is an excellent natural material that finds widespread use in the construction industry. This stone was applied for thousands of years to provide sturdy building walls and exquisite decorative details. Today this stunning and prestigious natural material is an excellent option for interior and exterior projects. The composition of stone crystal structures determines the variety of granite patterns, so with this wide range of tones, you can perform the appearance of any piece of architecture effortlessly.
If you are going to renovate your house — use granite in interiors as a first-class countertop or tile in the kitchen or bathroom, or make an incredible addition to your exterior by diversifying your yard with benches or plant pots, — you come to the right place. We are here to give you various options for granite uses!
The Usage of Granite: 9 Ways
Let’s take a closer look at the beneficial usage of granite so that you can find useful tips for yourself and apply this distinctive natural stone at your discretion.
Granite Kitchen Countertops
Our first recommendation is the kitchen countertop’s use of granite. Thanks to the possibility of selecting different variations of this stone substance with pleasant colors and patterns, you can redesign and completely update the cooking area. The usage of granite kitchen countertops provides durability and invulnerability to thermal effects, for instance, if you mistakenly put a hot pot on the surface. One more beneficial feature of this stone is that this substance can be custom-cut to the appropriate size and shape. As a result, you can create granite kitchen countertops that match your interior decor.
Another superb decision for the improvement of both the interior and exterior is the usage of granite tiles. They are good options for different purposes such as facing kitchens, bathrooms, terraces, porches, and so on. The tiles can be applied for cladding floors or walls as well to bring about a dazzling and comfortable design. Additionally, thanks to the versatility of this stone, granite tiles are not picky about cleaning.
Another advantage of this natural stone is the possibility of using granite as a backsplash, especially in kitchens or bathrooms. Backsplashes are an integral part of a comfortable workstation, and the best thing is that they can save your kitchen from splashes of fat, and your bathroom walls from water sprays. When it comes to protecting walls from contact with liquids or other substances, a granite backsplash is a must-have option to consider when you plan to change the appearance of various surfaces. Moreover, you can combine granite backsplashes alongside other granite elements in the room to harmoniously complement the overall look.
Granite Bathroom Vanity Tops
Do you want to renovate your bathroom and bring more amenities? Then, bathroom vanity tops will be super handy for you, giving both functionality and sophistication. The use of granite for bathroom vanity tops ensures excellent resistance to mold, even in such a humid and constant contact with water space. Add the allure of your bathroom by selecting from a variety of granite materials, available in different colors and shapes, making it into a captivating and appealing place.
Granite Paving Stones
Granite paving stones are a long-lasting and eye-catching alternative option for various outdoor surfaces such as patios, fire pits, or paths. The top-notch natural stone’s beauty can simultaneously take you back to the past and captivate you with its modernity. Earlier granite slabs were used to pave streets in cities, and nowadays this multifunctional material is a stunning option for both beautiful and refined road decor and heavy traffic routes. When the use of granite paving stone materials combined with the brilliant work of the master, the appearance of outdoor space becomes capable.
Granite Pool Decks
The use of granite for the pool deck ensures both its long lifecycle and a balanced appearance. Thanks to the wide palette of granite shades, pool lining can provide an astonishing match to any external elements. The slabs are resistant to water with the 0,05‒0,17% water absorption coefficient, so it is the best option for such places as swimming pools, saunas, and fountains. In addition, this natural stone will not cause you any difficulties in caring for it. You can use only a cloth and wipe the stone without spending much time and effort on it.
Granite Fireplace Mantle
Do you have a fireplace and often find yourself thinking that something is missing? If the answer is “yes”, you can install a granite mantel on the fireplace. The use of granite for fireplace mantels complements the appearance of the room and gives it elegance and perfection. Moreover, you can also add a frame for the fireplace, completing the entire structure. Do not worry about the embers from the fire, granite coating is resistant even to this.
To increase the durability of outdoor elements such as curbs, plant containers, or pillars, it’s appropriate to use granite material. This stone serves not only as a cladding or decorative coating, adding a bright appearance but also acts as a strong structural element. The use of granite in construction projects is in demand when it comes to street building elements.
Granite is often used in different countries as a grave memorial due to its long lifecycle and invulnerability. This rock material is resistant to diverse weather conditions, so its appearance will not change over the years. The use of granite grave memorials will help you immortalize the memory of people by adding engraving to them.
Additional Uses of Granite
The applications of granite are endless. If you have granite leftover, you can easily add decorative elements to the house. Let’s find out what creative ideas you can implement in your design.
- Bedside tables, coffee tables, and shelves: Excellent options for bedrooms, providing extra space for saving stuff and serving as exceptional interior details;
- Food service trays, lazy Susans, coasters, and cutting boards: The use of granite is safe for cooking, so many kitchen utensils have appeared that can help in the preparation of dishes. The material is anti-allergenic and does not cause any harm to humans. Surprise your guests with dishes served on original and safe tableware.
- Lamp bases, wall art, tablets, and ornaments: If you decide to add a twist to the interior of your apartment, then such granite for a house is the perfect solution.
- Mailboxes, street benches, and house number plates: You can add originality to the exterior and enjoy garden comforts with fantastic granite equipment.
- Gemstones: The last way you can use granite is for the creation of various medallions with precious stones.
Benefits of Granite Uses
- Versatility: The usage of granite is truly universal: it can be used both indoors and outdoors;
- Durability: Granite options are not vulnerable to water sprays, molds, or contact with high temperatures and weather conditions, so they are in excellent condition for a long period;
- Ease of Maintenance: Granite stones do not require any care. Just wipe this material with a wet sponge, and you make it shine. In case of old dirt, use soap for easier cleaning.
- Allergen-Free: This natural material is completely eco-friendly, posing no harm to any living organisms that come into contact with it.
- Unique appearance: The natural asymmetry and uniqueness are striking and make each granite slab special.
Common Questions About Uses of Granite Rock
The term “granite” is defined as a coarse-grained igneous rock that contains feldspar and quartz crystals. This rock is very common in the continental crust. In addition, it is somewhat similar in composition and appearance to other rocks: syenite, gneiss, monzonite, gabbro, anorthosite, or granodiorite.
The common granite colors are typically white, gray, black, brown, and red